wedding

wedding

Friday, March 20, 2015

The Home Stretch (AKA OHGOD are we there yet?!?)

I've been extremely comfortable with only minor complaints throughout my pregnancy. One of my friends teases me for it because she was miserable in both of her pregnancies: throwing up until the day she gave birth, swollen in her whole body, just very uncomfortable. When she sees me at work, she rolls her eyes with a smirk and says, "Oh here Rachel comes all glowing again. Haven't you thrown up yet?? Tell me when it gets bad, I don't want to hear anything til then."

I have a coworker due three days before me who reports utter misery and discomfort, and has from the beginning with little relief. I had another coworker tell me about a different pregnant coworker, "I'm glad I can see how much you're enjoying pregnancy, because if I was only seeing ____, I may never want to do it! She does NOT make it look appealing!"

I read a "humorous" pregnancy book recently where the author started off by saying that this book is not for the perfect, non-complaining pregnant women that seem to breeze through everything, but for the REAL pregnant women who deal with the REAL issues of pregnancy, which she then listed and most of which did not apply to me. I felt like I was supposed to feel this instant relief and sense of inclusion in the sisterhood of exhausting and uncomfortable pregnancies: "Oh yes, I hate those women who never get a varicose vein or a stretch mark or morning sickness or swelling! Who ARE they anyway??" I felt like a model starting to read a book that was meant to validate "curvy girls" by creating an atmosphere of comfort and laughter that I'm not a part of, but also know I'm privileged not to be a part of. Like maybe I should put this down since I can't sigh and say, "YES, I go through that too, isn't it awful?? I'm glad I'm not the only one! I hate those women who seem to have it easy, they make me sick!"

The reality is that I was turned off to the idea of most foods except simple carbs and had passing waves of nausea, but never threw up. It also only lasted a few weeks. I had smell sensitivity for maybe a week, with a few specific issues, but none that made me feel sick or have to leave a room. I haven't had insane hormonal swings where I've screamed at my partner or demanded she meet certain needs; I was just a little extra sensitive and more emotional my first trimester, and it's just starting to come back a few weeks into my third. My feet swelled for about two days, though I'm sure that can get worse later on. I haven't been constipated my entire pregnancy, which is supposedly one of the most common complaints, though I do the things naturally that are recommended such as drinking a ton of water and walking (I get a decent amount just in my commute) and eating lots of fiber. I haven't yet gotten stretch marks, though I'm pretty sure the last month will fix that. Discharge has been very minor and almost odorless (I know people who had to wear pads for it at this point in their pregnancy). My lower back started to ache around 28 weeks from carrying the off-center load in front, but I bought a pregnancy support belt that was recommended to me and wear it just during my commute and that has been a miracle. Nothing but my belly has grown or changed, so I haven't had to buy new underwear or change styles to find something flattering to my new shape. I feel very fortunate, and I also think I probably minimize the few inconveniences I HAVE experienced because they feel like just that, and I don't expect pregnancy to always be cushy and comfortable. Those same inconveniences have also always been fleeting.

The only one that was bad enough for me to complain much about was severe lower back pain that made me actually feel like I was breaking in half when I went from a lying or sitting position to standing. It was so bad that I needed to use my arms to pull myself by grabbing onto something, and then would have to stand hunched over and sloooowly come up as I stretched it out. This made commuting and midnight peeing a source of great dread and anxiety! This was happening for almost three days, and yesterday I became concerned and called my OB to make sure it was normal. I was told that it is, as long as I don't feel any cramping in my lower back, and that it will come and go depending on how baby is positioned, what he or she may be laying on. Today has been much better so I'm optimistic that it's not something that will be consistent for the rest of my pregnancy.

I still have eight weeks left, and I know they'll be the toughest eight weeks. So maybe all of this will start happening. But I feel grateful that I've made it this long feeling mostly comfortable. Even my   one main issue I feel I have well under control now, but that's a long enough story to merit its own post.

(Update: four weeks left and still feeling great!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment