wedding

wedding

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Almost There!

Update:

  • We had our counseling session. It wasn't interesting enough for me to write much about here. Suffice it to say that the therapist understood that we weren't in a typical heterosexual infertility bind and, while thorough and making use of our expensive hour, she didn't put us through any unnecessary grilling.
  • I got a claims rejection from my insurance company for part of the bloodwork I had to do. This bill would come to over $1000. I called the clinic in a panic and they offered to have the doctor write a letter of medical necessity and to put through an appeal. The doctor herself called me before the end of the day to let me know it was taken care of. Love. This. Clinic.
  • The doctor called to review my bloodwork. Unfortunately but not surprisingly, my blood sugar was still slightly elevated even with fasting, so she wants me to be tested for prediabetes. This involves doing fasting bloodwork, drinking some sort of glucose mix, and then having more bloodwork two hours later. My question to everything is, "So what does this mean? What is the worst case scenario? Will this delay our process?" The doctor said if I tested as prediabetic, then she would put me on medication throughout my pregnancy to control it, so I should get it done as soon as possible but it will not delay us. She also told me I tested negative for chicken pox immunity. Odd since I had it TWICE as a kid. But I have never been able to build up a Hep B immunity despite multiple vaccinations, so maybe my body is just resistant sometimes. If I want a chicken pox vaccine, that would delay us another month. I declined so I will just have to sign a waiver.
  • I met with my PCP yesterday who told me, to my surprise, that Flonase is safe! He said that yes, there is an ingredient in it that wouldn't be safe if the baby was directly exposed to it (such as, in his hilarious example, if I ingested it or inserted it directly into my uterus) but the medicine is proven only to stay in your nasal passages. He said this is actually why it's commonly prescribed for children. And on top of that, he said his own wife took Flonase during both her pregnancies and he had done thorough medical research of his own before permitting that. He did say I need to come off Advair and prescribed me Flovent as an alternative. Advair has one component that only goes to my lungs but another that goes into my bloodstream and could potentially harm the baby, though there can really be no research done on pregnant women to know for sure.
  • Swimmers are shipping next week!! It was unnerving how easy it was to charge sperm to my credit card. A few clicks of the mouse and there goes $1888 for four vials, plus $150 in shipping to be charged after I sent in the crazy stack of paperwork they required. Again, my doctor was incredibly responsive. She had to fill out one form, which I emailed to the office and they had it back to me with her signature and information before the day was out. (This is a doctor who works out of at least two different sites and also does surgery.) Because frozen sperm only lives a day (as opposed to fresh which lives about five days) and you only ovulate for a 12 to 24 hour period, it literally doubles your chances of pregnancy to inseminate twice in one cycle, making sure you don't miss that window by a few hours and waste the whole cycle, so those four vials will last us two months.
So I will get my glucose test done as I wait patiently for my next period, and swimmers will be at the Melville office ready to be thawed and washed (to separate out what is okay to go all the way into the uterus from what generally remains in the vagina) and ready for my arrival in a few weeks. A FEW WEEKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment